Matt has extensive experience in the Cayman Islands where he has advised on investment funds, compliance and regulatory issues, general corporate and commercial work and has been involved a number of major transactions for leading onshore law firms and investment managers.
- Advised a leading UK and US based investment manager on the establishment of a Cayman fund structure comprising a unit trust to feed, with other direct investors, into a Cayman segregated portfolio company to provide seed capital and working capital to early stage hedge funds and to manage their income streams.
- Advised in relation to the variation of rights by the imposition of a redemption gate on investors in a hedge fund tainted with assets exposed to the Lehman collapse.
- Advised a leading Japanese investment adviser on the restructuring of a unit trust to manage liquidity issues including the use of side-pocketed units, the facility to continue NAV reporting following the suspension of redemptions and the extension of lock up periods.
- Advised on the Cayman corporate aspects of a joint venture arrangement established to invest in pharmaceutical companies in the MENA region.
- Advised a leading CIS focused investment manager on the restructure of their suite of Cayman domiciled funds and their corresponding Cypriot subsidiaries.
- Advised on the establishment of closed ended special purpose vehicles to manage asset illiquidity within Cayman hedge funds allowing the continuing offering of shares and satisfying investor requirements for the management of illiquid assets.
- Advised a number of high profile Middle Eastern investors on the use of Cayman corporate structures for investment into European real estate.
Matt became a partner of Dillon Eustace in Cayman in 2012. Prior to joining the firm Matt worked as General Counsel for a leading investment manager based in Cayman, London and Moscow. Matt has over 15 year's legal experience, more than 11 years of which have focused on the offshore investment funds industry. His main areas of practice are financial services and general commercial work.
University of Warwick, Coventry University and the College of Law.
Matt is qualified in Cayman, the BVI, Jersey and England although he now practices Cayman law exclusively.