Mike joined Grant Thornton in 2013. Prior to joining Grant Thornton, Mike worked for 11 years in the European financial services and risk consulting practices of two Big Four firms. He advised clients in Ireland and internationally on a range of I.T, security, fraud and risk issues. During this time, he acted in technology leadership roles for both UK and Ireland based financial institutions.
In addition, he has held technology roles in an Irish mobile telecommunications operator and a global management consultancy based in Germany.
Mike has experience of a wide variety of projects. These include:
- developing and assisting with the implementation of a security strategic transformation programme for a retail bank;
- developing a strategic web channel fraud prevention roadmap for the phone, mobile and online banking channels of a European retail bank;
- assessing the security and fraud prevention controls of a mobile banking solution for a Middle Eastern bank;
- leading numerous security and fraud assessments, incident responses and investigations for a wide variety of clients including insurers, regulators, asset managers and banks;
- advising a on the vendor selection process for enterprise technology deployment;
- leading the development of comprehensive security architecture for a retail bank's payments infrastructure;
- developing an online customer authentication strategy for a large retail bank;
- designing and assisting with the implementation of a corporate security function for a global organization; and
- leading a team of technical security professionals security testing for a global financial institution.
Mike is a graduate of University College Cork (UCC) where he obtained first class honours B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in physics. He also completed a Ph.D. in computational physics at the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research in Germany. Mike lectures on online security and fraud at University College Dublin's (UCD) Cybercrime Institute as part of the M.Sc. in Digital Investigations.
He is a member of the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) and is a certified Management Consultant.