John specialises in Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, Mediation, Employment and Defamation. He is an experienced commercial dispute resolution specialist advising clients from a wide range of sectors on disputes.
His employment law expertise includes advising domestic and international clients on tactical and strategic issues across all aspects of workplace relationships, including issues arising in mergers and acquisitions and restructuring.
John is a committed practitioner of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and commercial mediation, and is an accredited mediator. John has over 25 years’ experience in advising clients in relation to defamation including providing pre-publication advice to several national newspapers.
- The Sunday Business Post in successfully defending a high profile defamation action brought by businessman Denis O'Brien.
- A national newspaper on various matters including defamation, employment law and data protection issues.
- A national daily newspapers in relation to potential contempt of court.
- A national retail chain in relation to a wide range of matters including possible defamation claims by customers and a number of employment law matters.
- A Spanish investment manager in Commercial Court proceedings arising from the Madoff fraud.
- A large US pharmaceutical corporation on the employment law aspects of its acquisition of a large Irish pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- The investors on employment law issues arising from their acquisition of a company in examinership.
- An international bank regarding all employment issues on the merger of a financial services company with its existing business.
- An international company on the employment law issues arising from the closure of its manufacturing company in Dublin.
- A company director in the defence of a high profile application by the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement for a disqualification order under the Companies Acts.
- Various companies on all aspects of mergers and acquisitions due diligence.
- An international client in High Court injunction proceedings taken by a senior employee.
- Advising the Financial Services Ombudsman on a High Court statutory appeal.
The Law Society of Ireland
CEDR Accredited Mediator
He is Honorary Secretary of Arbitration Ireland and is a member and former Honorary Secretary of the Irish Commercial Mediation Association.