Jennifer is head of the firm’s Insurance Group. Jennifer advises both domestic and international clients on all aspects of insurance law and regulation. Jennifer's practice includes advising on the establishment of an Irish carrier; on-going prudential requirements (e.g. solvency requirements, corporate governance, compliance and substance requirements), and the provision of insurance on a cross-border basis (e.g. conduct of business rules, product offerings and establishment requirements for third-country providers). Jennifer has advised extensively on portfolio transfers (both life and non-life), cross-border mergers, court-sanctioned amalgamations and transfers of insurance/reinsurance business and notifiable acquisitions/disposals in Irish insurers/reinsurers. Jennifer also advises on distribution arrangements (including white labelling distribution), outsourcing in the insurance sector and reinsurance/retrocession arrangement
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Acting for Swiss Re on a number of matters including ReAssure's acquisition of the Guardian Financial Services, investment by MS&AD, and sale of Reassure to Phoenix Group
- Numerous insurers on complex Irish High Court sanctioned portfolio transfers and cross border mergers including RSA, AIG, Rothesay, and Zurich, Randall and Quilter
- Advising on the administration and liquidation of insurers including issues of access to the Irish Insurance Compensation Scheme including CBL Insurance, Setanta, and Quinn Insurance
- Advising Great West-Life Co on the acquisition of Irish Life Group for €1.3 billion
- Advising CNP on its €300 million acquisition of a 51% stake in Santander's Irish insurance operations
- Advising EXOR on its $6.9 billion acquisition of the Partner Re Group
- Devising remediation plans for identified life insurance product issue
- Advising Insurance Ireland in respect of the European Commission anti-trust “dawn raid” investigations into the Insurance sector
- Advising on numerous insurance distribution arrangements (white labelled/ innovative platforms) including for 123.ie and KBC Insurance
Jennifer is a partner and head of the firm's Insurance Group. Jennifer joined Arthur Cox in 2012 having previously worked in the insurance practice of a large Irish corporate law firm for over 6 years.
Jennifer has lectured and presented on a wide range of insurance topics. She has written several articles on insurance topics and was a contributing author to two international publications on the European Cross-Border Mergers Regime.
BCL (Law and French), University College Cork 2000. Smurfit Graduate School of Business - Diploma in Financial Studies.
Jennifer McCarthy is a member of the Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland, the Law Society of Ireland and the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association.